Saturday 17 January 2015

Barkbuster Storm Handguards

As I had been neglecting my Tiger for a while due to the recent bad weather, I thought I would treat it to a few goodies. There are a couple of areas on the Tiger that could be improved more to my liking. So, I have bought some new items to hopefully change these for the better.

The genuine Triumph handguards are rubbish. I noticed this when I test rode one prior to buying my Tiger. The Triumph handguards are a cosmetic addition that give the bike that "Adventure Bike" look that everyone craves, but fail miserably when it comes to actually protecting your hands. They are just too small. And, the shape of them directs the air flowing over them at the back of your hands. This is really annoying on cold or wet days, as you get an icy blast or a jet wash of water fired at the back of your hands and up the sleeve of your jacket.

The Genuine Triumph Handguards
 
After looking around at the various options, I decided to buy a set of Barkbusters with the optional Storm plastic extensions. These are reasonably priced, and highly rated amongst the Tiger owners that have fitted them. 
 
 
The Barkbusters package consists of a pair of tough aluminium bars which provided the protection for your bike. If you were to drop it, they would help prevent the levers from breaking. They also protect your hands if you were to bash the handle bars on something like a tree riding through a forest trail, or the side mirror of a van during a hectic morning commute.
 
You then chose from a few different plastic guard options, which attach to the aluminium bar sections. I chose the larger Storm option as these provide the best weather protection.
 
The kit comes with a comprehensive fitting kit ( these Barkbusters are a specific fitment for the Tiger 800 and Explorer 1200 ), and easy to understand instructions.
 
After removing the Genuine Triumph handguards, I had the Barkbusters fitted in about fifteen minutes. The instructions specify that the handlebar clamps need to be fitted in a certain way, and that the handlebars ( which are adjustable ) need to be in the middle of their range of adjustment to provide the necessary clearances needed when turning the steering lock to lock. However, as I have my handlebars in a more forward position to prevent shoulder pain from a injury a few years ago, it took me a few adjustments to get them just so.
 
Barkbusters fitted
 
The Storm plastic guards are simply fixed to the aluminium bars with a small plastic bracket, and some self tapping screws.
 
 

 
The Barkbusters look great. And, seem to be very strong. They definitely look like they could take a proper beating.
 
 
 
And, the Storm guards look like they will provide much better weather protection. If they prove to be a little too warm in the summer, I will consider changing the Storm guards for one of the other smaller enduro style options.
   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment