Sunday 17 January 2016

Crasher goes North: Goodbye Norway; Hello Denmark



Tuesday 4th August 2015

I had a fairly uneasy night. It was quite warm in our little hytte. I lay in my bunk reflecting on what had been a great journey so far, and feeling a bit sad that the trip was nearly at an end. In three days time I would be on a ferry back to the UK.

It started to rain just before 5, and I could hear it drumming on the hytte roof for the next few hours. Mark was oblivious to it all and was snoring away in his bunk.

I got up around seven on the instructions of my bladder alarm and headed over to the ablutions building. By the time I returned Mark was conscious. I got some water on the boil for some coffee and breakfast.

We didn't have much planned for today other than to catch our ferry at 2:30pm from Langesund. The ferry terminal was only three kilometres away, so we had plenty of time. Rain was forecast to be waiting for us when the ferry arrives in Denmark this evening. So, last night Mark booked us a B&B on his phone. At least we don't have to worry about where to stay tonight.

We decided to go for a ride into Larvik. There is a Biltema  store there. Hopefully I would be able to find a cheap waterproof suit that will see me out until I got home. We were ready to go by 10am. First we had to take the hytte key back to the farm house. As it involved riding down a long gravel driveway, Mark volunteers me to do it. He is not keen on riding his big adventure bike off road. I set off and turned my bike round, nearly dropping it in a slick muddy spot. Maybe Mark is not as stupid as he looks! But, it was no big drama and I am soon handing back the key to our cheery host. He wished us well for the rest of our trip and I ride back up the gravel driveway and wait for Mark.

We set of for Larvik. As I was leading, my satnav decided to throw a strop and directs us onto some smaller roads. But, we had plenty of time so it didn't matter.


The road led us over a nice suspension bridge and straight into some heavy road works and construction. The main E18 is being upgraded into a two lane motorway. Huge bridges and tunnels are under construction. The smaller road that we were on was the supply route for all of this construction traffic. It was interesting to see how the bridges were being built though.








We stopped to fill up with fuel so that we would have full tanks for the blast down through Denmark later on. Mark's satnav finds the Biltema store on an industrial estate at the north of the town. As we are parking the bikes a young lady approaches us and asks if we would be interested in her services! She is handing out leaflets for a handyman service. You purchase all the materials from Biltema and they will carry out the work for you. It sounded like a good idea. I couldn't see the manager of a B&Q store back home letting people tout for business outside their store back home though. When Mark explained that we were on holiday and didn't live in Norway, she seemed a bit flummoxed.

Biltema didn't have any waterproofs suitable for my needs. Mark bought some chain lube in an effort to keep his chain alive until he got home. Mark also declared he was hungry, so we set off back towards Langsund in search of food.

Once out of Larvik we took the E18 west. There were lots of large steel art installations at most of the junctions along the way. It was hard to tell what some of them were supposed to symbolise.




Mark spied a sign for some services, so we pulled in. It was a Stabburger, fast food restaurant. Mark ordered a bacon burger and fries. I had a double hamburger and fries, washed down with a coffee. It was very tasty indeed. It would later be know as the `sleepy burger' when the full effect of its full bulk worked its way down to my stomach. I just hoped it didn't make a reappearance on the ferry crossing!


Barely able to move due to the amount of food we had just consumed, Mark and I made out way to the ferry terminal at Langesund. We crossed another stunning suspension bridge over to Brevik. From here we could see the other bridge we had crossed earlier.



Just before the ferry, I pulled into a service station. I wanted to check my tyre pressures as they were feeling a little low. I think it was more to do with the fact that the tyres were beginning to square off rather than a pressure issue. But, I wanted to be sure. I spotted the air line at the side of the shop. A German campervan was parked in the space clearly marked as no parking in front of the airline. It then started to rain, hard!. I got my bike as close as I could, but the airline wouldn't quite reach. `Oh well, I will just have to run the airline over your bonnet then, Mr. Inconsiderate Campervan!' I was in no mood for fools now it was raining. The pressures were a little down. I was just putting my gloves back on and starting my bike when Mr. and Mrs. Campervan appeared with coffee in hand.  I just smiled and rode off to catch up with Mark.

The ferry was well sign posted from the main road. I approached one of the ticket booths. I handed over my passport and a printed copy of my booking confirmation. " I don't need your passport. Just the booking.", said the lady behind the glass. I was handed a couple of printed tickets in return. She then held up a large carrier bag of magazines and tourist handouts. " I don't suppose you want all this on your bike, do you", she said with a smile. I shook my head, and declined her offer.

Mark and I were directed to the end of the dock, where we found some other bikes parked up. Several Harley Davidsons from the Czech Republic, a Norwegian couple on a Yamaha GTS1000 and a Danish Virago 535.

We had just over an hour to wait until departure, so we headed into the terminal building. This was a bit strange. There was a huge foyer with seating and the reception desk at the front of the building. But, as we were now through the check in, we were only able to access a small mezzanine floor with a small table and four stools. All the other bikers, and some of the car travelling passengers were camped out on these and the floor of this small waiting area. Mark and I found a space overlooking the downstairs foyer to wait.


With twenty minutes to go before departure, the ferry arrived at the dock. It was a brand new, sexy, sports GTi ferry. I was most impressed. Mark and I had chosen to take this ferry route to Hirtshals in Denmark, as it is considerably cheaper than the other routes. Finn had used this route a few days earlier. He and Greg suggested that we should do the same. This ferry is cheaper as it takes slightly longer, and only sails once a day. I was therefor expecting a rusty old warhorse, not something designed by formula one engineers!



The ferry quickly offloaded and a member of the crew came walking over to the assemble group of bikers. He pointed at Mark, and four of the Czech riders, making a clear "You five bikes follow me" signal. With that chaos ensued, as the whole group of bikes made their way towards the ferry. The deck hand just laughed and held his head in his hands! After a bit of redirection we were all parked up on the ferry and began to strap our bikes down. The Harley riders went to town with straps everywhere. Their bikes were worth a lot of money, and they obviously didn't want them to move.

Mark and I left them to it and took the stairs up to one of the passenger decks. It was empty as the bikes were let on first. So we made camp in a couple of comfy looking chairs by the window.

Right on time the ferry begins to move. With the bow thrusters working overtime the ship carried out a complete 360 degree turn on the spot and headed out to sea. The captain seemed to be pretty good at maneuvering his ship within the tight confines of the narrow fjord.

Langesund was a lot larger than it had seemed on the ride into town. There was a nice collection of little cottages all along the shore. Small pleasure boats bobbed around on their moorings as the wash from our huge ferry swept by.  





All too soon we were free from the fjord and leaving the coast of Norway behind. I went out on the rear deck to watch it disappear into the horizon. I didn't want to see it leave. Hopefully, I will be able to return one day.


Back inside I headed down to the duty free shop to buy some sweets for the journey, with my pocketful of Norwegian shrapnel. I also bought a drink from the cafeteria. £3 for a coke! That is one thing I am not going to miss about Norway.



The ferry trip was four and a half hours. There was a selection of Tom and Jerry cartoons playing on a loop on a large TV at the end of our seating area. Even the kids had seen enough after the forth or fifth time around. Mark exchanged some money at the ships reception desk, as the B&B was cash only. We had wanted to get through Denmark without needing any cash, but this was not to be the case. We both visited the cafeteria for a couple of coffee and cake runs. Combined with the `sleepy burger' from earlier, I was now having trouble keeping my eyes open. Some fresh air out on deck did the trick though.

With 45 minutes until we docked a tannoy announcement told us we would soon be allowed down to the vehicle deck. Everyone headed toward the stairs. Mark said it was too early and for us to sit tight. I got impatient an after a few minutes I made my way down to my bike and started to unstrap it. I put my waterproofs on ready for the rainy ride to the B&B. I then began to bake. " I told you it was too early", said Mark chuckling to himself.

I turned on my Bluetooth headset and listened to some music. The Czech "Sons of Anarchy" arrived and having unstrapped their bikes, got their gear on ready to go. They also had Bluetooth headsets, and while syncing their sets together had picked up mine too. Looking around in a slightly confused state, one of them spotted my headset led flashing away. He wandered over to me playing an air guitar! They were now all listening to my music. Good job it was Bon Jovi, and not Little Mix that had been on previously! I'm a ruffty tuffty rock loving biker you know! With a quick resyncing, and adjustment to my settings I got the thumbs up from `Jax Teller' and I could start playing my girly pop music again.


With the usual efficiency the ferry unloaded, and we were on our way again. It seemed strange that there was no passport control. It was just straight into Denmark. Mark and I discussed this later when we got to the B&B. We realise that all EU countries have an open border country. But, I suppose crossing an ocean is little different to crossing a land border like we will do on the way from Denmark to Germany and then to Holland.

The forecasted rain had arrived. It was a two hour ride to the B&B. We found the E39 and headed for Aalborg. After twenty minutes the rain began to hammer down. Thunder and lightning crashed all around us. It was not the best weather conditions for motorcycling.

At Aalborg we joined the E45. While it was classed as a motorway, for us it was more of a river. Lots of standing water and spray from other vehicles meant my waterproof suit resigned from their duty and took up a new job as a sponge! How my tyres were still able to perform with as much confidence as they did, was amazing. At times the rain was falling hard enough for it to sting my arms. I had had enough for today.



At Randers we turned off the E45 on to the 16 towards Viborg. The rain eased off and shortly before we arrived at the B&B, it had stopped completely. The B&B was called Farm 61, in a little village called Tindbaek.  Simon the owner, heard us arrive in the carpark, and opened up a gate to the courtyard. He instructed us to park in his garage. It was very nice of him. The carpark was deep gravel, and Mark was pleased at not having to park there.

Mark signed us in and we were shown our room. It was just what was needed. I was knackered! Trying not to drip rainwater all over the immaculate soft furnishings, Mark and I quickly made ourselves at home and settled in for the night

Tomorrow we cross over the border into Germany.

Here is part 19 of Vlog:


No comments:

Post a Comment