Thursday 3 April 2014

Hugger and chain guard extension

Having fitted the rear mudguard extension, I thought I would complete the rear end protection by fitting a hugger.
I am not normally a fan of huggers. But, I am fed up of how dirty the Tiger gets. I also don't like the fibreglass and carbon huggers. They get stone chipped easily, and start to look a mess.
So, I looked at the R&G hugger. It is made of black ABS plastic, similar to the chain guard. This helps it to blend in and look like an original part.
Fitting was easy. All the mounting holes lined up, and the additional security of industrial Velcro makes it feel secure. There is also an optional plastic rivet to secure the chain guard to the hugger. This needs a 5.5mm hole to be drilled through the chain guard and hugger. This helps to keep the chain guard in position.
The plastic rivet supplied by R&G was a bit flimsy, so I replaced it with a stronger version from my spares supply.


Overall I am really happy with how it looks. I just hope it helps to keep things clean.

I also made and fitted, a small extension for the chain guard. The standard chain guard is about an inch too short. This means that chain oil can get flung off the chain and rear sprocket, decorating the rear of the bike in the process.
I took a piece of scrap ABS plastic and cut out an extension piece.
 I drilled a 5mm hole in the extension, and the chain guard. I then secured the extension to the chain guard with a stainless button head bolt, washer, and locknut.
 

This is just an experiment. But, I am confident that it will work. I may end up modifying the shape a little. I need to clock up a few miles to see how it performs.

No comments:

Post a Comment