Tuesday 29 April 2014

Weekend away- First mini tour: Day 1

One of the reasons for buying my Tiger 800XC, was that it should be a good bike for touring trips. Nice comfortable riding position, decent tank range, and the ability to carry all my camping gear on an adventure, is what these bikes are all about.
Well recently, I was able to put my Tiger to the test during a weekend away in Wales. The weekend of 11-13/04/14 was one of the AF1 Aprilia Caponord forum UK meets. Although I no longer have my Caponord, I am still an active member of the forum. They are a great bunch of guys and girls, and the camping weekends held in Wales are a great event.
Due to work, I was able to have an extra day in Wales. The weather forecast looked good, so I assembled my vast mountain of camping equipment and attached it to the bike. I always end up taking too much stuff with me, but this year was going to be different. I had sorted through my stuff, and was only taking about a third of what I would normally. It was only a weekend after all!
With the bike loaded, I set off for the valleys of Wales just after rush hour. I had all day to get to the campsite in Llandovery, so I made most of the bright sunshine and the empty tarmac.
                                                                                        
I stopped after about an hour for a leg stretch and to check all my gear had not become loose. I also uploaded this  photo to let my work mates know I was having a great time riding in the sunshine.
As I neared Abergavenny, the sun disappeared behind the increasing cloud and it became a little bit chilly. I decided a spot of lunch at the bus station café would warm me up a bit. The bus station café is popular with bikers, as the roads all around are nice and twisty. Even though it was a Thursday lunchtime, there were about 10 bikes of all types parked up outside. You can expect over a hundred bikes on a sunny weekend day during the summer.
I ordered a cheese and tomato sandwich, a hot chocolate, and a chocolate covered flapjack that caught my eye. I took a seat and was soon after presented with the largest doorstop sandwich I had ever seen. The bread was from the local bakers, and was nice and soft with a great texture. It was awesome. Just the thing to set me up for the ride over to Llandovery on the A40.
 
Proper Man's Sandwich!
 
I left the bus station, and after a quick refuel ( for the bike this time) I set off west along the A40.
The A40, west from Abergavenny, is fast and flowing with great visibility. It becomes a bit of a racetrack at weekends. But, on a weekday afternoon it is very quiet.
It started off as a nice relaxing ride through the countryside. But, the section from Brecon to Llandovery is a particular favourite of mine. The relaxing ride became a little more spirited, and just past Sennybridge, I surprised a guy on a silver ZX12R with the pace of a fully laden Tiger 800XC!
I arrived at the campsite mid afternoon. http://www.erwlon.co.uk/. It is a great site with good facilities, and friendly staff. It has even won "Loo of the Year". I set up my tent, and had the top site all to myself.

Tent up and time for a brew
 





The others would be arriving the next day, so I had a relaxing evening chilling out with a book and some tunes on my phone. I went to the local supermarket for a few provisions. I put the stove on and cooked up a delicious mushroom risotto for dinner. This was washed down with a glass or two of wine, while I watched the Hawk jets from RAF Valley carrying out some low level training. A great end to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment