Sunday 6 April 2014

Screen Modification

One of the things that I find annoying on the Tiger is the screen. The bike came with a Genuine accessory touring screen as part of the promotional package I got when I bought it.
I have tried adjusting the screen in various positions. But, no matter where I adjust it I am getting an excessive amount of wind buffeting. This makes riding the bike for any length of time uncomfortable, and tiring.
I suffered with wind buffeting on my Aprilia Caponord. It took lots of experimentation with various screens and additions to try and eliminate it. I don't want to have these issues with the Tiger too. I am planning on doing some long tours on the Tiger, so the screen needs to be looked at.
I wanted to keep the touring screen if possible, due to it's larger size. I have the standard screen to revert back to if necessary, so I have nothing to loose by modifying the touring screen.
I found a MRA screen from an old Honda Fireblade that I used to own. The screen was cracked, but the vario spoiler was fine. So, I removed the spoiler and tried it for size against the Tiger screen.
The mountings matched the curvature of the Tiger screen. So, I set about mounting the spoiler.
First I had to measure, mark, and drill the mounting holes for the spoiler.
 It was a bit nervous about drilling the screen. I started with a small drill bit, and increased the hole size one  drill bit at a time until they were 5.5mm. The holes needed to be drilled at a slight angle to suit the mounting studs on the spoiler. I trial fitted the spoiler at this stage.

The spoiler fitted really well. I removed the masking tape, and fitted the backing plates on the mounts to secure the spoiler to the screen.



I am really pleased how the job turned out. I have tried the spoiler in various positions, and there is a noticeable difference. The buffeting is reduced. But, the screen still flexes on its lower mountings. This leads to screen wobble at higher speeds. There is a replacement set of mounts available from Touratech for the BMW R1200GS which use a similar mount. I may see if these are a direct replacement.
But, for now I am happy with the results. If I can get the position of the spoiler to where it works well, I may cut a spoiler from a second hand stock screen that I have. This would match the lines at the top of the screen better.

No comments:

Post a Comment