Tuesday 23 June 2015

Puig Touring Screen

One of the problems I have with Tiger is a certain amount of screen buffeting. I have tried a variety of screens and screen modifications. But, none of which have eliminated the problem completely.

In one of my previous posts, I modified the Triumph touring screen by adding a MRA spoiler from an old screen. This worked quite well at certain speeds. But, on longer trips at motorway speeds the screen flexed too much and the buffeting returned.

A friend of mine had recently fitted a Puig touring screen to his Tiger and was raving about how good it was. I like the looks of the new screen. And, also noticed that it had additional braces either side. Could this be the screen for me? It certainly looked like it.

I shopped around for the best deal and eventually found a bargain at www.bs-motorparts.de. The screen was delivered within 48 hours from Germany.

What's in the box?
 

The screen came very well packaged from BS-Motorparts
 
 
When I unpacked the screen I was pleasantly surprised that it was already assembled, and ready to bolt on as a direct replacement for the existing screen.
 
What came in the box. Here you can see the screen, fitting kit, the spoiler, and a comprehensive instruction booklet. Being a man, I ignored the last item!
 
Here you can see the difference between the standard Triumph screen on the right, and the Puig Touring screen on the left. You will also notice that I ordered the Puig screen in the light tint option.
 
The Puig screen fitted in just a few minutes. It uses the standard Triumph mounting screws and hardware for the brackets and the lower screen holes. I then fitted the spoiler section. This was again a simple exercise, involving a few screws.
 
All of the holes for the brackets and screws are pre-drilled. The spoiler brackets are the same and will fit either side.
 

 
And here is the screen all fitted. The adjustment mechanism is simple to use, and offers a good range of movement. Combined with the additional adjustment available from the spoiler, I seem to be able to find a good setting for most speeds.
 
The screen braces, with them holding the screen much higher than the Triumph items, prevent the screen from flexing so much at motorway speeds. This makes the buffeting much more tolerable to the point that I hardly notice it anymore. It has taken a bit of experimentation to get a setting that I like. But, for now I am happy. I have a long trip planned this summer, and this screen will certainly help with covering big miles with ease.


No comments:

Post a Comment