Tuesday 23 June 2015

Time for some new brake pads

I recently took my bike back to my supplying Triumph dealer for it's 6000 mile/ annual service. My bike is now a year old and needed a service on date rather than mileage. I had done 4736 miles at the time of service.

The bike was ushered away into the workshop while I waited, drinking coffee and catching up on some emails on my phone.

A couple of hours later the bike was brought out to the front of the shop, and the bill for the service was explained to me. On the bill was a charge for brake fluid, which the mechanic had topped up. When I questioned why this had been done, the slightly flummoxed service receptionist explained that it was part of the Triumph service schedule. The Triumph service schedule mentions to check brake fluid levels, not adjust them. The reason for this will be explained in a moment.

After a brief explanation of why I thought this should not of been done, this part of the charges was removed from my bill. I paid the rest and went on my way. Yet again I have had a  technical problem with a dealer. ( I should explain at this point that I am a highly trained motorcycle technician with over 20 years experience. I only take my bike to the dealer for warranty reasons).

You see the hydraulic braking system is a sealed system. The only time the fluid level should be adjusted is when a fluid change is performed, or you have a leak. The fluid level in the reservoirs goes down as the pads wear and more fluid is required to fill the void behind the piston as it moves out to push the pad onto the disc. The reservoirs are made of a translucent material or have sight windows, as a visual guide to pad wear. If your fluid level is getting near the "low" mark, you need to investigate what is wrong. You take a look. There are no fluid leaks. You check the pads. They are low. You fit new ones, pushing the caliper pistons back to do so. Oh look! The fluid level has risen back to the "max" mark in the reservoir again. Simples!

But, if the mechanic tops the fluid up at service time, you lose this visual aid. You also end up with too much fluid in the system. This then has to be drained off to fit new pads. AAAAAAHHHHH!!

So, with this in mind I visually checked the rear pads when I got home. They were a bit worn, but still appeared to have plenty of material left on them. I then used the bike for a couple of weeks of commuting, and a weekend away camping in Wales.

After cleaning the bike after the Wales trip ( it rained a lot!), I discovered this. Less than a thousand miles after the service.


There is about 2mm of pad material left, so time for a change. The front pads were not quite as worn. But, as I am going on my big summer trip I thought it would be best to change all three sets, as I don't want any avoidable problems while away.

Although I like to have the odd spirited ride, these days I am a bit of a steady rider. I do find that I get through brake pads, particularly rear pads on these kind of adventure bikes. It must be something to do with weight distribution, or the style of riding.

Not wanting to give my inept dealer any more of my hard earned cash, I shopped around for new pads. If the dealer had mentioned the pad wear at the service, I would of probably asked him to fit some. But, he didn't so missed out on the business.

Having used them before, and being impressed, I chose a set of Galfer sintered pads from Calsport. As a bonus, they were also on offer with 30% off.


I cleaned up the calipers and greased the sliding pins. The calipers were good to go. I checked the brake fluid levels too. I had to remove 40ml from the rear reservoir, so that I could push the piston back! I then popped the pads in to complete the job. I will see how long this set lasts.

Next another new set of tyres.........

No comments:

Post a Comment