Tuesday 23 June 2015

Time for a new pair of tyres........again.

A few months ago I fitted a pair of Michelin Anakee 3 tyres. They replaced the awful Pirelli Scorpion Trail tyres the bike came fitted with from new.

The Anakee 3's have been great tyres. They grip well in all conditions, coping well with wet roads, and giving confidence inspiring levels of grip in the dry. However, they are very noisy tyres. They sound like an old Landrover on knobbly tyres roaring down the road.

But, having covered just over 2000 miles the handling is beginning to suffer. Having checked the tyres, I have discovered that they are just starting to square off. The front tyre feels like the worse of the two. The tyres still have plenty of tread on them. 5mm on the front, and 7mm on the rear. I am being picky. But, I can feel the difference from when they were new. With my big trip coming up soon, it was time for a new pair of tyres. I will refit the Anakee 3's when I return, to see how long they last.

As, I am going on a big trip that may involve some gravel roads I looked for a tyre that could cope with both tarmac and a bit of hard packed gravel. The Anakee 3's are a 90% tarmac/ 10% off road tyre. Another set of these would probably cope with the riding I have in mind. I am just a little disappointed with the wear rate.

Looking at all my options most of the tyres available, most of the tyres available for modern adventure bikes seem to be tarmac biased. The tyre manufactures know their market as most owners never stray from the black stuff.

I looked at the new Continental TKC70 tyres. These are a 70/30 tyre. However, they do not produce a 90/90VR21 suitable for the Tiger yet. It is due out later in the year. Another tyre that has got good ratings at the lauch was Dunlop's new Trailsmart tyre. These are an update of the TR91 tyres which have been around for a few years. They are a road based tyre, but they have a deep tread. I am familiar with the Roadsmart tyres that the Trailsmart are based on, as I use them at work.

I ordered a set online and fitted them earlier this week. They are nice and easy to fit. The silica rich compound should make them quite grippy and long lasting. They were easier to fit than the Anakee 3's. I just hope they work ok on my trip.



 

 
 
They look good on the bike. The front seems to have a much rounder profile. The Anakee 3 always felt very square in comparison. Hopefully I will get the chance to try them out in the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment